5 Benefits of LTL (Less than Truckload) Shipping
Shipping can be a tough cost to swallow for many small business owners, especially as giants like Amazon offer 1-day or 2-day free shipping for paying members. The good news is that there are a variety of ways you can ship your packages that can help you cut costs and get those packages to their destination economically. One of the best shipping methods for small businesses is LTL or less than truckload shipping.
What is LTL (Less than Truckload) Shipping?
LTL shipping simply means shipping goods that weigh less than a full truckload. LTL shipping works well for retailers and other businesses that have between 5,000 pounds and 10,000 pounds worth of goods to ship.
With LTL shipping, companies share the truck space with others that also need to ship smaller loads, helping to cut down on costs and streamline shipping needs.
Benefits of LTL Shipping for Small and Mid-Size Businesses
While LTL shipping can benefit companies of all sizes, it is an especially useful tool for small to mid-size businesses since they often have fewer packages to ship. Below are the top 5 benefits of LTL shipping for these businesses:
- Cut down on costs – You never want to pay FTL (full truckload) prices for a shipment that doesn’t require a full truck. When you opt for LTL shipping, you’ll share the cost with other businesses.
- Send smaller shipments – Some companies wait until they can reach FTL status before shipping goods because they believe it will be more cost-effective. Choosing LTL shipping is more cost-effective in the long run and also can reduce shipping time.
- Broaden your options – With LTL shipping, you often have access to more convenient options, including inside delivery, residential pickup, or liftgate services. For small and mid-size businesses, these options can make the shipping process a lot easier.
- Scale up for better e-commerce options – In today’s COVID-19 world, offering an online shopping experience has become critical for businesses of all sizes and in all industries. LTL shipping with a reliable shipping and logistics partner makes it easier to keep costs down, ship quickly, and pass savings on to customers.
- Ensure safety and security – When shipping using LTL, your packages are carefully packed and secured each time that the truck makes a delivery. In order to stay competitive, LTL shippers work hard to ensure the safety of each of your packages. In addition, LTL shipping uses careful tracking technologies to make sure your packages don’t get lost or go missing.
LTL Shipping with AFP Global Logistics
If your business is currently in the market for a partner in the shipping and logistics industry, AFP Global Logistics can help. Our LTL Freight Shipping Program has been around for over 10 years now. We have the experience to save your business time, labor, and money for your domestic shipping needs.